Friday, August 17, 2007

Put Me In, Coach!

Friday is here, and it is nice to write about some non-real-estate topics sometimes as we head into the weekend. Let's talk about coaching. Not leading the team to win the World Series or Super Bowl, but life and career coaching. Coaching has made a tremendous difference in my career and life, and I highly encourage it.

A coach is someone you can meet with to help you establish a strategy for your work and your life. It might sound like therapy, but it is not. A coach helps you identify goals that you want to achieve and then create a plan to tackle them. My coach helps me to better understand my goals, to better articulate them, and to refine them so that my goals are achievable. Coaches challenge you with new ideas, and they provide a healthy dose of accountability. For most people, it is just too easy to set goals, only to forget about them later. A coach stays on you until you achieve success.

If you are new to this concept, you might be thinking, "Oh great, something else to do!" But, it can be as simple as a phone call or a coffee meeting every 2-3 weeks for just 20 minutes. Plus, it really helps you focus your time management so that you are working smarter, not harder. You'll barely even notice the time commitment, but you'll definitely notice the positive results.

I get all my coaching through Buffini & Company, a real estate training and coaching company. In fact, I'm off to our annual Mastermind training retreat in San Diego for the next few days. I really look forward to it every year. If you have questions about coaching or would like help finding the right coach for you here in the East Bay, let me know. I'm always happy to help. I can be reached at 510-547-5970 x57 or MSmartt@jps.net.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: